What is 5G?
5G is the fifth generation of cellular technology, designed to increase the speed and responsiveness of wireless networks. This technology will increase the amount of data transmitted over wireless networks due to massive increase in bandwidth from its previous cellular technologies.
Features of 5G Technology
- Speed: Most obvious and well-known feature of 5G is very high speed. It can deliver up to 20 Gigabits-per-second(Gbps) peak data rates and 100+ Megabits-per-second(Mbps) average data rates. It is designed to support 100X increase in traffic capacity and network efficiency.
- Latency: It offers ultra low latency. The delay between sending and receiving the information will decrease from 200 millisecond to 1 millisecond.
- Enhanced Capacity: 5G will deliver up to 100x more capacity than 4G, which will help on developing IoT(Internet of Things).With capacity for thousands of devices communicating with each-other, new application and use cases for cities, factories, schools, and homes will flourish.
How Is It Different From Previous Generations
5G will use much higher frequencies for radio communications that has been used in cellular networks in the past. Since higher frequencies weaken with distance more rapidly than lower frequencies, It will use much smaller cell sizes than previous generations. Also It’s speed, latency, efficiency will be immensely improve than it’s previous technologies.
Is 5G Bad for Human Health
5G is not bad for human and any kind of animal’s health at all. ICNIRP(International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection), which is non-profitable organization and independent of any government and company, has cleared that 5G exposure will not cause any harm to human health. The radiation that 5G uses is a different radiation, It’s not a wavelength that’s called ionizing wavelength. So, It won’t affect human health.
With a lot of pros it comes with some cons too.
- The range of 5G connectivity is not great as the frequency waves are only able to travel a short distance. Implication will be hard.
- Initial cost for rollout are high.
- It will cause battery drain on devices.
- It will impact the beauty of the region.
From When 5G Will Be Available All Over The World
5G is already here today, and global operators started launching new 5G networks in early 2019. And in today’s context, all major android phone manufactures and apple company has started to launch 5G supporting phones. It is estimated that in early 2026, there will be more than 3.5 billion 5G subscriptions.